Young People

Financial support for further education

If money worries are making it difficult for you to study at college or sixth form, there’s help out there for you.

16-19 Bursary Fund
Are you aged between 16 and 19 and struggling to afford the costs of full-time education or training? You may be able to receive a bursary of up to £1,200 from your school or college if at least one of the following applies:

  • you are in care
  • you are a care leaver
  • you claim Income Support or Universal Credit in your name
  • you are disabled and receive both Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance, or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) in your name.

If you’re a parent you’ll also need to be living away from your own parents to qualify.

You may get the full amount if you have expenses and study full-time on a course of at least 30 weeks. You’ll usually get less, or no bursary, if your course is shorter, you study part time or have few expenses.

The bursaries will be given out by your school, college or training provider. Ask your tutor or student support for more details.

Find out more about the 16-19 Bursary Fund.

Other bursaries
If you aren’t included in one of the categories above, but are still having genuine money difficulties, you may be able to get a discretionary bursary from your school or college. This can help pay for things like books or transport. Your school or college will decide on the amount, and how the bursaries are paid. The bursary may be linked to your behaviour or attendance.

To find out more, ask your tutor or student support at your college.

You can find out more information in Advice for young people:16 to 19 Bursary Fund Guide

Child Benefit
Your parent or carer can carry on getting Child Benefit for you up until your 20th birthday, if you’re in education or training that counts for Child Benefit:

  • full-time, 'non-advanced' education (for example 'A' levels)
  • 'approved' training.

You need to have started, enrolled or been accepted for one of these types of courses before the age of 19.

You can't get Child Benefit if you are in:

  • higher education, such as a course at university level
  • education provided by an employer
  • education provided through any office you hold - for example if you have an official role such as scout leader or councillor, and the education is provided as part of that role
  • training that is part of a job contract.

To find out more, go to – Child Benefit

Register to extend your Child Benefit payments
Are you aged 16 or 17 and have you recently left full-time education? If you are looking for work, education or training, your parent or carer can apply for a 20-week extension of child benefit payments. Just:

  • first register with East Sussex County Council by emailing ( with your name and a return email address.
  • then apply for the extension at HM Revenue and Customs’ Child Benefit for under 18s who leave education or training.

The extension normally lasts up to 20 weeks and starts on the first Monday after you stop education or training that counted for Child Benefit.

I have special needs
If you have special needs which mean you can’t use public transport to get to your closest suitable college, you may be able to get help.
Apply for free transport for young people in further education with special educational needs

Help with childcare
If you are aged between 16 and 19, want to attend an FE course, but are worried about the cost of childcare, you may be able to claim Care to Learn funding of up to £160 per week.
Find out more at - Care to Learn
Or you can call the Learner Support helpline free on: 0800 121 8989.

Residential funding
If you have to live away from home to attend a college course, because the course you want to do isn’t available locally, you can apply for funding to help with the cost of accommodation.

Find out more at – Grants and bursaries for adult learners.

I’m over 19 – can I get any financial help?
We cannot offer any financial help to FE students over 19 years of age. You might be able to get help from your college. Talk to your tutor for more details.

24+ Advanced Learning Loans: if you're aged 24 or older you can apply for a loan to help cover tuition fees for courses