The Industry Champion Role
Industry Champions are volunteers from any industry sector and any level. They come into a local school or college in East Sussex to support young people as they prepare for the world of work. The role is ideal for people who enjoy meeting pupils and talking about their industry and career journey.
Industry Champions support a variety of careers events and activities within schools and colleges. Careers events are typically in-person, but can also be virtual depending on the activity. Popular activities include:
- Career fairs
- Mock interviews
- Assembly or classroom talks
- Employer and pupil networking events
- Enterprise days
- ‘What’s My Line?’ activities
- Workplace tours and visits
- Work experience placements
Many Industry Champions also take part in the Open Doors programme which contributes to their role as a volunteer. You can find out more about Open Doors and how it works here.
Becoming an Industry Champion benefits local employers and businesses in many ways:
- Playing your part in supporting and shaping young people's careers and plans
- Raising your own brand awareness and profile in the local community
- Establishing potential links to support your own talent pipelines and future workforce
- Gaining and sharing ideas with young people in East Sussex
- Showing your commitment to social value in your local community
- Careers Professional Development for you and/or your staff
- Supporting the local business and education community
Badge and Certificate
Being an Industry Champion is voluntary and there is no obligation to take part in any number of careers events each year. Each month, Industry Champions receive a calendar of upcoming careers events they can volunteer at based on information and requests provided by schools and colleges in East Sussex.
If you support 3 or more events or activities over an academic year, between September and July, your organisation can receive a certificate and digital badge which you can display in your place, on your website, and on your email signature to show your commitment to support careers and employability skills in East Sussex.
The Careers Hub run an in-person Employer Engagement and Celebration event at the end of each academic year to celebrate the achievements of our Industry Champions and other employer partners. These events are a great opportunity to receive your certificate, network with other employers, and receive training on how to engage with the future workforce.
How to Sign Up
If you would be interested in becoming an Industry Champion or have any questions, please contact the Careers Hub at Enterprise.Coordinator@eastsussex.gov.uk